You are here
- Getting started with Drupal Commerce
Getting started with Drupal Commerce
We ‘wrote the book’ on Drupal Commerce.
Language : English
Paperback : 144 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : September 2013
ISBN : 1783280239
ISBN 13 : 9781783280230
Author(s) : Richard Jones
Topics and Technologies : All Books, CMS and eCommerce, Web Development, Open Source
Where to buy
Chapter 1: What is Drupal Commerce?
This chapter introduces Drupal and Drupal Commerce and explains the goals of the system.
- Introduction to Drupal Commerce project and its origins.
- The framework concept of the project and how this allows you to build any type of e-commerce experience on top of Drupal.
- Gives some examples of the types of stores that can be created using Drupal Commerce.
By the end of the chapter, the reader should have an understanding of the potential of Drupal Commerce and how it came about. They should also understand the motivation of the developers.
Chapter 2: Installation
This chapter explains how the user installs Drupal Commerce (assuming they already have a working Drupal installation)
- How to install Drupal using Acquia Dev Desktop.
- Free options for dev hosting such as Pantheon and Acquia Cloud.
- Downloading Drupal Commerce Core
- Enabling the Commerce modules.
- Commerce Kickstart for fast development.
By the end of the chapter, the user should have a working store that they can build upon in subsequent chapters.
Chapter 3: Planning Your Store
This chapter is intended to get the reader to stop and think about how they want their store to work before starting to build it in Drupal Commerce.
- Setting up a taxonomy for your products.
- Product options
- Attributes vs Variants
- Customised Products
- The benefits of spending time planning how you will set up your shop structure as it will save lots of time later.
By the end of the chapter the user will have enough conceptual understanding to start building their Drupal Commerce store.
Chapter 4: Setting up a Product Catalogue
This chapter leads the user through setting up the fundamental catalogue configuration items required to make the store work.
- Catalogue Structure (Taxonomy)
- Product Displays and Products
- Product Variations
- Product Types
- Product Pricing
By the end of the chapter, the user will have a simple product catalogue showing categories and pricing.
Chapter 5: The Shopping Cart
This chapter introduces the shopping cart concept for the user to collect items from the catalogue to purchase.
- Add to Cart buttons
- Line Items
- Mini Cart and Cart Page
- Cart Statuses
By the end of the chapter, the user will have a working cart setup to go with their catalogue.
Chapter 6: The Checkout
This chapter will explain how to configure the checkout process to get the user from the basket to a complete order.
- Checkout Steps and Statuses
- MultiStep vs Single Step
- Payment Gateways
By the end of the chapter, the user will have a working Commerce store that can take payments for a shopping cart.
Chapter 7: Shipping
This chapter introduces the concept of rules based shipping allowing the user to define delivery charges for the customer.
- Shipping Profiles
- Rules based Shipping
- Flat rate Shipping
By the end of the chapter the user will be able to set up shipping rules based on the cart contents and order shipping address.
Chapter 8: VAT and Taxes
This chapter explains how sales tax and Vat are handled in Drupal Commerce.
- Sales Tax
- Rules based calculation.
By the end of the chapter the user will be able to set up their store to comply with local taxation laws.
Chapter 9: Managing Orders
This chapter explains how to process order received from your customers.
- Order States, Statuses and Workflow
- Order Notification and delivery notification
- Inspecting payments
- Processing Refunds
By the end of the chapter, the user will be able to operate their commerce store and manage the order workflow.
Chapter 9: Discounts and Coupons
This chapter explains how to set up special offers in the store.
- Time sensitive special offers
- Coupon / Voucher based offers.
Chapter 10: Extending Commerce / Tips and Tricks
This chapter leads the user through more advanced topics and add on modules that can be used to extend the store they have built so far.
- Advanced pricing rules
- Checkout progress
- Downloadable content
- HTML order confirmation
By the end of the chapter, the user will have an appetite for the possibilities of extending Commerce and will be prepared for the 'Advanced Commerce' book!